Monday, June 30, 2014

Week 30 - This Test Thing is Work(ing)

The Numbers (as of 006/28):


PushupsCrunchesKataSparringJourney (Swim)Journey (Bike)Journey (Run)KindnessJournalVideo
Annual Totals:
28,500
28,500
580
280
0697640
587
29
1
1,337
Annual Targets:500005000010001000240010005212
Percent of Annual Targets Complete57.00%57.00%58.00%28.00%55.71%58.70%55.77%8.33%

Feeling good about the numbers. It was another good week for mileage even with the couple easy days taken for race prep. There are the usual suspects (sparring and videos) that need some attention. But for now I'm not going to panic, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and try to be confident that I'll figure it out. 


The Training:

Well, I REALLY have to stop stalling and get in the pool, that's for sure. I'm slowly increasing the bike mileage so that's good. Running is running.

Still working on Naihanchi. Learning some of the applications which is cool. It brings a new perspective to the kata when you can imagine the attackers and understand the movements as they defend. Sparring is ... overwhelming most of the time. For now I'm focusing on angles, changing up the timing and not forcing things.

The clean eating is going well. But I'm just not going to skip pizza when it's ordered or chocolate after lunch. I am eating even more fruit these days. It has become the thing I crave. I don't feel I'm low on protein (which is the concern for some vegetarians) because I eat a fair bit of tofu and tons of egg whites. I will do some more reading on that.

As for brain training - I think most of it happens without my realizing it. I think this test, while it really is a struggle sometimes, is proving to have results that I don't always see. And sometimes, it's easier to keep pushing through the hard parts of things. I felt it happen...

This past Saturday, my goal for the 1/2 marathon was to stay with the 1:50 pacer, see what that pace feels like at this point in training. Miles 9 - 11 are my rough spot. That's where my brain tells me to slow down because my body hurts. It was a bit different at this race. At mile 9 I wanted to slow down but the pace group kept me going. At mile 10 I was struggling but the pace group held together. At mile 11 I thought, the tough zone is behind you, just keep up. But the pacer started creeping away from me and the little pace group we had was breaking up. By mile 12 the pacer was about 150 yards ahead of me and I thought there was no way I could keep this pace. But right after that thought, there was one that said to suck it up and move. Then someone on the course hollered 1/2 a mile to go. I let out a pitiful little groan (and maybe a small splash of colorful language). Then thought, you're practically done, keep doing what you're doing, stop wining. I saw the mile 13 marker and told my legs to kick. They wouldn't. We argued. They kicked. 

I finished at 1:50:01. And as much of that as I can attribute to the physical training, I have to give even more credit to the brain training. It's hard sometimes, it's really hard, to keep going in this test. To choose the ride over dinner with friends. To not let how tired I feel be how tired I am. It feels really, REALLY good to have those moments when it's easy to believe that it's worth it



The Challenges:


The challenges list has been pretty consistent for me through-out: Time management and keeping my head in the game/staying motivated. Now I need to put some thought into knowing how hard to push myself. Particularly with running. I want to get right up to that threshold and hang out there for a while. Even when I know I gave it my all, I still think I could have gone just a bit harder. Just a bit. Maybe that's what makes people get faster: That little bit of self-criticism, if you can own it and turn into drive. I'll be thinking on that.


Levels:
Motivation: It's there
Next Event: July 27th - San Francisco Marathon

Some Humor:



No comments:

Post a Comment