Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Week 27 - 50% Plus a Little

The Numbers (as of 6/7):


PushupsCrunchesKataSparringJourney (Swim)Journey (Bike)Journey (Run)KindnessJournalVideo
Annual Totals:
25,500
25,500
520
254
0599559
526
25
0
1,158
Annual Targets:500005000010001000240010005212
Percent of Annual Targets Complete51.00%51.00%52.00%25.40%48.27%52.60%48.08%0.00%

At last, the 50+ %s that I've been waiting for. There they are, they look good there in those little blue boxes, don't you think? This week was a bit separated compared to the few before. Sort of a rest week (and by rest I mean I worked my butt off on the house instead of on the testing elements). It needed to happen :) At any rate, I really like those numbers. The tracker is a quick and easy way to assess how this is going. It's good to like what I see. It's good to know that there are areas in need of attention.

The Training:

The further into this I get, and the more things I try, the more I see how this is test is benefitting me. My conditioning is improving, my strength is improving. So sure, the physical portion of this test has clear and noticeable measures. But there are parts of this test that can't be seen on the tracker. As I push the limits of my comfort zone, I'm feeling my confidence improve. I'm feeling myself get more calm because I'm half way there. 


This test is a long process. The further I get, the more I realize that this is more a test of patience, will and emotional fortitude than it is a test of conditioning, strength or even skill. And, let me tell you, this is a process that really tests you. My motivation ebbs and flows, with that my confidence ebbs and flows. I know we track the physical stuff (because it can be tracked), and that 50,000 push ups in a year, 2,400 miles, that all seems pretty intense. And it is. But I can say, without a shred of doubt, that the hardest part of this test is the mental stuff: Staying motivated, continuously choosing to train instead of nap, the constant assessment of what I have left to do today... And that's not necessarily measurable by the tracker. Maybe it's measured by the fact that the tracker keeps filling up with numbers and notes. I just think it needs to be mentioned... 150 push ups a day is easy... IF your mind says do it. When your mind says cuddle on the couch with the pooch, 150 push ups gets a whole lot harder.

Basically, it's like this: Take all the physical stuff, imagine how tiring you think it is. Now double that and apply it to brain exhaustion. Am I making sense...? 

The Challenges:
Well, I think I covered some of this already. I'll just continue to reiterate that time management is hard. And I'll say that my dog is very cute and a great cuddler so it really is a challenge sometimes not to curl up on the couch.

Levels:
Injury: Just some leftover aches from backyard renovation (phase 1 of I have no idea how many)
Number of bruises: 12
Motivation: Feel good
Next Event: June 28th - Zooma Napa Valley 1/2 Marathon; July 27th - San Francisco Marathon

Motivation:


No comments:

Post a Comment