Monday, September 15, 2014

Week 41 - 90% Mental and the Other Half Physical

The Numbers (as of 09/13):


PushupsCrunchesKataSparringJourney (Swim)Journey (Bike)Journey (Run)KindnessJournalVideo
Annual Totals:
39,460
39,485
801
524
51,094949
805
40
6
2,047
Annual Targets:500005000010001000240010005212
Percent of Annual Targets Complete78.92%78.97%80.10%52.40%85.30%80.50%76.92%50.00%

All I really have to say is that it's nice to see those 80-something %s. So very nice, indeed. And even nicer to see the sparring gap continue to shrink. So far so good. I feel like I get a bit of downhill to catch my breath.


The Training:

Also applies to Black Belt Tests
at Zen Martial

All the extra sparring helps but it sure is tiring :) I'm gaining an appreciation for rotations in sparring, too. This round I only defend, next round only attack, then hands only, legs only, etc. It makes it easier to learn how to see things or respond to things. It's the repetition. Learning is so much about repetition. Kata = happy place. I'm working up and down from Seisan to Kusanku right now to assure myself that no forgetfulness is slipping in. Not exactly "looking forward" to reviewing Sanchin, but do like knowing that it means the end is near :)

As far as the triathlon goes, this is that period where I have to accept that the condition I'm in is the condition I'm in. This week was a pull-back on the mileage for next week to surge up a bit. Then a ten day taper, 3 days of rest and then race day. It's going to be what it's going to be. I'm comfortable with my conditioning but know that there will come a point on race day where sheer stubbornness (please read determination) saves me.

Healthy eating... ehhhh. I've not paid enough attention to that and need to get back on a better track. Which really just means I need to get myself to the grocery store. Funny how that falls to the bottom of my priority list when it really shouldn't. 


The Challenges:

Honestly, right now I'm just panicking about the triathlon. I'm having to deal with the stuff I didn't plan well enough for: Coordinating with my friend who has a wetsuit I'm borrowing, get the bike in for a fit tweak and a tune-up, the proper gear for the distance, need to get new shoes and stop running on this tread-less pair. That kind of thing. The goal will be to get those taken care of this week so I don't completely freak out next week. Haha.


Motivation:
These are some of the things that come to my mind when I'm at that place in a race where I just want to lay down and take a nap. And then I know I have to keep going...



No comments:

Post a Comment