Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Week 38 - Need for Speed

The Numbers (as of 08/23):

PushupsCrunchesKataSparringJourney (Swim)Journey (Bike)Journey (Run)KindnessJournalVideo
Annual Totals:
36,610
36,580
738
420
3964858
749
36
4
1,825
Annual Targets:500005000010001000240010005212
Percent of Annual Targets Complete73.22%73.16%73.80%42.00%76.04%74.90%69.23%33.33%

Moving right along. The sparring number is creeping up and that feels good. Just gotta keep it climbing. Video count is slowing adding up as well. Everything else is still on track so it's all in good shape for now.

The Training

Wanna try this workout?
I need to focus on sparring, and I know it. Not just getting the required rounds in, but I need to feel improvement. The extra sparring is helping, and I'm identifying some weaknesses. That's not always encouraging, but it's necessary. My concern is that the weaknesses are sort of made worse by all the other "stuff" that I do. I'm a distance athlete, always have been. The burst strength needed to move quickly is something I've never really worked on specifically. I need to figure out how to work on speed and strength while training for distance races in a way that they won't work against each other. My guess is more circuit training. Argh!

On a brighter side I got back to the pool and it felt great. Getting adjusted to the triathlon fit of a bike is proving painful. And I'm realizing that getting hit doesn't scare me as much or hurt as much as it used to. Body conditioning... :)

Keeping up with the healthy eating. SO MUCH FRUIT IN THIS BELLY! Found a seemingly great protein powder: It's plant based, no genetically modified ingredients, yada yada. My plan is to start drinking a shake a day to see if I feel any different or recover any faster. I tend to think we are an over-protein-ed nation but am willing to be proven wrong.

The Challenges:

Well, that time management thing jumped out at me this weekend. Didn't get my long run in, but made a lot of progress on the back yard renovation. I'm okay with that and I'm glad I didn't cram a run into an already busy weekend. I'm just recognizing that there it is, time management, forcing me to make choices

The Levels:
Motivation: Nice and steady...
Next Event: Sept. 7th - Giant's 1/2 Marathon 

Determination:

No comments:

Post a Comment