Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Week 21 - A Slow Week but Rest is Good

The Numbers (as of 04/27):


PushupsCrunchesKataSparringJourney (Swim)Journey (Bike)Journey (Run)KindnessJournalVideo
Annual Totals:
19,200
19,200
387
158
0433431
409
19
0
864
Annual Targets:500005000010001000240010005212
Percent of Annual Targets Complete38.40%38.40%38.70%15.80%35.99%40.80%36.54%0.00%

This was not a great week for mileage. BUT... I have recognized a pattern. I get a cold after 1/2 marathons. I was out of commission for a a few days this week but have a plan so that won't happen again. It was a good week for sparring and I'm hoping to start closing that gap. 

The Training:

Is moving right along. Most things are habit at this point. I have good little routine going. And am lucky to have some flexibility at work when I need a longer lunch for a longer run/ride.I got caught practicing kata in the locker room the other day. That was pretty funny :)

Sparring is feeling better. I'm really just trying to work on angles and to do something with them. Lots of work to do, but I feel like I'm making some progress and that feels really good. Still working on the details of Seiuchin kata... And loving it. I really enjoy kata, so I'm liking the feeling that I'm taking it up a notch with all the attention to details. It can be overwhelming, everything is very purposeful, there are no wasted movements. It's a lot to take in sometimes, but still fun to work on.

Got another book in. I read a FaceBook post from Sensei Tom Callos the other day where he referred to the book A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power by Jimmy Carter. It was packed with information and statistics that made my head explode a little bit. Glad to have found the audio book. It was read by Jimmy Carter and he was able to interject some additional information in areas where it was relevant. I'd definitely recommend it.

The Challenges:

Are still, and will likely always be, the same. It's all about time. I work, and I'm in the test, and... Well, obviously there's a lot more to life. A lesson I didn't expect to learn is that I can prioritize my test without letting it take over. Not only can I, but I really need to. It helps maintain the fun factor, and allows me to feel more balanced by making time for other things. 

I discovered that the 1/2 marathon I had my eyes on for my goal time is on the same day as the triathlon. That's a bummer. But, I'm feeling pretty confident with my running and hope to hit that goal time at the Berkeley race. 

Levels:
Soreness: Dare I say it, not really feeling sore...
Injury: Finger still hurts when I uppercut. :)
Number of bruises: 3
Motivation: Climbing
Next Event:  May 4th - The Golden Gate Relay

Motivation:




No comments:

Post a Comment