Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Week 17 - Crazy Math!

Seriously, the weeks are just whooshing on by...

The Numbers (as of 03/29/2014):
PushupsCrunchesKataSparringJourney (Swim)Journey (Bike)Journey (Run)KindnessJournalVideo
Annual Totals:
15,750
15,750
318
104
0354340
328
15
0
694
Annual Targets:500005000010001000240010005212
Percent of Annual Targets Complete31.50%31.50%31.80%10.40%28.91%32.80%28.85%0.00%

Still feeling good with the numbers. Consistency is the key here. Mileage dipped a bit this month but that 100-ish mile gap will be easy to close as the triathlon training gets going and those longer rides kick in. 

The Training:
Well... it's pretty much the same. I'm staying consistent with things. The push-ups and sit-ups just kind of happen now. Katas, too. Started taking longer lunch breaks a few days a week so I can get more mileage in during the work day. It makes my day at work longer, but it's a more efficient use of time. With the longer breaks I can get a longer run in or even some mileage on the bike (once the weather clears). 

My frustration level with sparring is not as high lately. I chose two things to focus on and that is helping. Just want to loosen up, not "force it." Don't plan a move, find one. And working on those angles.

I set a new personal record (PR) for the 1/2 marathon at the Oakland race. I was feeling good and decided to see how close I could get to my goal time of 1:45. I approached it all wrong and suffered the consequences. My calves may never be the same. I went out too hard at the start. Couldn't find my way thru the masses at the starting line so ended up starting in the 2:10 pace group. Caught up to the 1:50 pacer by mile six and felt great about that. Decided to hang with them and take that as a good improvement to my standing PR. Then at around mile 9 that pacer started to slip away. Kept her in my sights until about mile 11. Lesson learned. I ended up shaving 40 seconds off my PR for a new PR of 1:52:12. I have some work to do. Still, I feel like even the short workouts that I'm getting in, because they are consistent, they are allowing me to improve. 

Challenges:
Right now, and what I'm thinking will be the most consistent challenge in this test is the time management aspect. Getting to do a solid workout on my lunch break helps. But, the rides I'm getting in aren't long enough, the runs aren't either. I need to figure out how to get more time. Training for a 1/2 iron... Ideally you shoot for 3 swims, 3 rides and 3 runs a week. Then there's class at least 2 days a week. Now, I was an English major, but my math skills aren't bad. Here's what I came up with:

3 swims + 3 rides + 3 runs + 2 karates + remember to feed the dog = CRAZINESS

Based on that, I'll likely push the 1/2 iron from the Folsom race in June to the Rancho Cordova race in October. That way I can do 2 of each workout a week, remember to feed the dog, have a life, and STILL not pass out! 

Levels:
Soreness: Pretty high, unfortunately. My calves... oh my goodness
Injury: I ditched the splints (mwahaha)
Number of bruises: 5 - with a really funny shaped on on my hip
Motivation: Feeling good
Next Event:  Marin County 1/2 marathon - April 19th

Kindness:
This one is something I can imagine any one of the students at our school doing. Some, we know, already have. Here it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment