Monday, May 5, 2014

Week 22 - Keepin' it up and A Relay to Remember

The Numbers (as of 05/04):


PushupsCrunchesKataSparringJourney (Swim)Journey (Bike)Journey (Run)KindnessJournalVideo
Annual Totals:
20,700
20,700
417
180
0463460
429
20
0
923
Annual Targets:500005000010001000240010005212
Percent of Annual Targets Complete41.40%41.40%41.70%18.00%38.45%42.90%38.46%0.00%

Feel happy with the numbers so far, happy with the week. Needed to make up some mileage for last week so I was on my bike a lot. And then I took I took a couple of days off before The Relay to rest up. I'm maintaining the numbers where they should be and that feels good. Got some extra sparring in but that's going to be the number that I worry about. So far so good...

The Training

It's going well, I think. Progress is very slow when it comes to sparring, but it's there and that feels good. There's so much to think about. I'm hoping eventually some of it will come a bit more naturally. Like moving on an angle, front hand up, finding that open target. Still working on the details of Seiuchin and as always, enjoying it. Also trying to make sure to keep all the other katas in my head, don't want the forgetful thing from a couple months ago to happen again. 

Feeling really good about my running, only okay about my cycling. Will get in the pool sometime soon to get my baseline (which will probably be pretty meh). It's so easy to focus on running because it's a very mobile sport (just a pair of shoes and some land is all you need). And I really love running. But it's almost time to start sharing the love among the other disciplines or that triathlon will really make me suffer.

The Challenges:

I think I'm going to start sounding like a broken record. Or maybe I already do. It's the time. It's the wanting to weld but needing to cycle. Or wanting to nap but it's time for class. I think I'm getting a bit better at some things. I'm resting when I need rest. Performance is as reliant on rest as it is on training. I'm working on finding that balance. Baby steps... :)

The Relay:

David Brezinski (a fellow student) invited me to participate in the The Golden Gate Relay with his team of 11 years. The course starts in Calistoga and ends in Santa Cruz. It's 12 people who take turns to cover 191 miles in 36 legs. Most of it is gorgeous (but I can't be sure about  the 5.5 miles that I ran at 4:30 am). I learned that I run way faster than normal when it's dark outside... Maybe because I'm scared of the dark? There was a lot of trail mix, granola bars, gatorade and water. There was NOT a lot sleeping. We sleep when we can, in the vans, or in sleeping bags at the designated stops. We completed the course in 28 hours and 41 minutes. And it was AWESOME. I was invited to go back next year. Can't wait!

Levels:
Soreness: The Relay has me pretty sore but I don't think it's going to linger for too long
Injury: Finger
Number of bruises: 3
Motivation: Still climbing (but does not ward off the desire to nap)
Next Event:  June 28th - Zooma Napa Valley 1/2 Marathon

Motivation:



No comments:

Post a Comment