Saturday, December 7, 2013

Week 1 - Unexpected Challenges

So, this week... Well, it was not at all what I expected it to be. There were some unexpected challenges. My mum was admitted to the hospital in Tucson in the afternoon on 11/23. I flew out early on 11/24. She's back home now and doing better, but the whole thing was... Well, unexpected. And I now know how to spell a lot of weird medicine names and can tell you what they do.

Right now I'm on the plane on my way back to Sacramento and thinking this is pretty much my best bet for getting an entry written. The fact that I'm even on the plan is a little mini-miracle. My flight out of Tucson was delayed an hour and 20 minutes. My connection in Phoenix was delayed 18 minutes. Can you guys picture me sprinting 1/2 mile across the airport? Oh, it was scene alright. Go ahead, laugh it out. I hugged the pilot. True story.

Anyway, I had visions of how this week would go. I had plans, even. But that all got thrown out of wack for obvious reasons. And that's okay. There was no other place I would rather have been than where I was. Lesson learned: Prioritize and be flexible. And even though my head feels all scrambly... I know that things will work out.

Now the logistics - I only got about 9 miles in this week. It's low, but you're supposed to take it easy the week before a marathon so that was planned. I almost kept up with the push-ups and sit-ups but will make it a point to get those caught up next week. Kata too. Medication is hard. It's had to make my mid go silent. I knew going into this that medication would be a hard part. And it seems the universe had a bit of extra challenge to throw my way in that regard. But it's cool, I got this!

I'm looking forward to being back in the dojo. I'm looking forward to getting this marathon thing done and to getting into a rhythm of running on my lunch breaks (but I think I'll take a couple days off, haha). I'm really looking forward to seeing my dog. And I'm looking forward to attacking week 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment