Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Week 45 - Yes, I've Started Counting the Days




The Numbers (as of 10/11):

PushupsCrunchesKataSparringJourney (Swim)Journey (Bike)Journey (Run)KindnessJournalVideo
Annual Totals:
43,170
43,195
306
614
61,2501,033
881
44
7
2,289
Annual Targets:500005000010001000240010005212
Percent of Annual Targets Complete86.34%86.39%30.60%61.40%95.39%88.10%84.62%58.33%

All the numbers were a bit low this week but I'm okay with that. Recovery and rest are important, too. There are the typical low numbers, but plans are in place so I just have to to stick to it and see how things go. 


The Training:


Now that the triathlon is behind me I'll be focusing on strength training. There are about two and a half months to go, should be enough time to get a bit stronger before all the black belts come to beat me up. I'll be doing strength workouts 3 days a week and cardio (in the form of heavy bag) 2 days a week. Of course there's always the running and karate class. I'm really looking forward to switching gears.

Kata... Oh, how I miss the days when I loved me some kata. Playing catch up is rough; There's an element of it that's almost destructive to the relationship between me and the meditative state it that kata allows. And then the other element is the challenge to get them all done. I am a goal-oriented person and like when I have a goal to work towards, a measurement to reach. Right about now, I'm very thankful for that. But I also think it makes me a little crazy, because the two elements are battling and it's pure stubbornness that makes me keep going. If not for the struggle with kata, I might not be counting the days.

Sparring... I'm closing that gap fairly steadily but still think there will be a big push in the last couple of weeks. While I really wish I felt an improvement on the technical side, I'm glad that I at least feel improvement on the cardio side. Cardio for sparring is it's own thing altogether, totally different than a long run. But... those long runs/rides have helped.


The Challenges:

Now that the home stretch is here, there's some panicking every now and then: That sparring gap is intimidating; need to get my profile of Kyoshi Fierro finished; empathy training...


The Levels:

Motivation: A bit of a spike now that I get to switch it up and do some strength training.
Next Event: November 16th - Big Sur 1/2 Marathon; December 7th - CIM Relay;
January 9th - Black Belt Test



Motivation:


1 comment: