Saturday, March 15, 2014

Week 14 - I Had the Cooties & More on Kindness

I know, at first it's really hard to associate cooties (ear/sinus infection) and kindness, but try to be patient, I'll get there :)

The Numbers (as of 03/08):
PushupsCrunchesKataSparringJourney (Swim)Journey (Bike)Journey (Run)KindnessJournalVideo
Annual Totals:
12,900
12,900
255
80
0256286
265
11
0
542
Annual Targets:500005000010001000240010005212
Percent of Annual Targets Complete25.80%25.80%25.50%8.00%22.60%26.50%21.15%0.00%


The numbers were low this week, only 24 miles, 600 push-ups/sit-ups, only 12 katas. Even my acts of kindness count was low. But that's what's gonna happen when I get sick (aka the cooties). Not every day is going to allow me to get the numbers I'd like; that's part of the challenge. And that's okay, because the year will. And once I got that thru my thick skull, I accepted that, sometimes, you just have to lay down and stop for a minute. That, especially while I'm in this test, it's really important to listen to my body. And then to not argue. I also learned not to underestimate the power the multivitamin and so I got a 3 months supply :) 

The Training
I feel pretty good about most things. Where I'm struggling is with sparring and trying to find ownership of some techniques. My cardio for sparring will improve, but I'm really having a hard time getting to a place where I'm confident that I can work techniques the way I should be able to. I have time, but I'm craving a sense of improvement. We have moved on from focusing on Seisan to diving into the fine details of Seiuchin. I really enjoy Seiuchin kata. I remember when I was learning it as a white belt how different it felt with the hard and soft movements and how the horse stance burns the quads after a while. :) 






The Kindness
So while I was sick I had a friend offer to bring me over some soup or whatever groceries I may need (which she ALWAYS offers when I'm not feeling well - thanks, Anna). And then I read this great article on acts of kindness that my friend linked on her Facebook (thanks Debie). And then I saw a man walking a woman around the grocery store asking if this item or this item would help her out (he was buying a homeless woman groceries - thanks stranger man). People! This kindness stuff is AWESOME! So I'm going to try to remind myself/us how good kindness feels. To motivate myself/us, how good kindness feels, both to give and to receive. I'm going to post a link to something about kindness in each of my journals. Cuz darn it, it just feels good! 

So, here it is, this weeks link to awesome kindness! Seriously, you should expect to tear up just a bit, at least once. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment