Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Week 9 - Hello February

Okay, another week down. It was a good week all around. I'm in a pretty consistent routine when it comes to push-ups sit-ups and kata. I can get it all in on my breaks at work pretty much. Still concerned with my sparring and not getting in the amount of rounds I need per week. Mileage was good. Got closer to the 200 mile mark for the month of January and I've got almost 350 total so far. Steadily logging acts of kindness, too.


I'm spending a lot of time thinking about sparring. Not just that I'm not getting enough rounds in, but actual sparring. I am trying to angle more. And working on moving into the attack. Need to work on targeting the head, also. I like my sidekicks but I need to get some more techniques working. Sparring is a real challenge for me. So much of it is mental agility.

Did some review of those katas that seem to have fallen out of my head over the last couple of months. I realized that focusing on one kata at a time is great for details but I have to continue to touch base with the others. Kata is my thing, I love kata. And the more I repeat a kata the more I love it. It's a thing that I get to work on and improve every time. I wonder if/when I will ever perfect a kata. 


I've also started working on my first video entry. A few clips of different training elements: running, cycling, sparring... my dog laying on the couch while I do kata in the living room... 

This test is teaching me all the things I've accumulated over the last few years of training. I think when you're learning day-to-day you don't realize how much you gain. When you start to put it all in one place you see how much it is. It's like studying for a big exam and realizing that the CliffsNotes aren't gonna cut it. There's no short cut to this. You just have to do it.

But it comes full circle. Push-ups every day. Sit-ups every day. Kata every day. Mileage every day. Kindness every day. 
The study guide for this test is a whole lot of push-ups and sit-ups. The lesson so far... little numbers do, and will, add up to great, big 5-digit numbers. You know... Eventually...

No comments:

Post a Comment