Thursday, February 20, 2014

Week 11 - Thinking About Acts of Kindness

Another week down. I'm late on this entry but squeezing it in. Here we go.

The numbers: 

Push-upsSit-upsKataSparringSwimBikeRunKindnessJournalVideo
Annual Totals:
11,250
11,250
222
70
0222244
223
10
0
466
Annual Targets:500005000010001000240010005212
Percent of Annual Targets Complete22.50%22.50%22.20%7.00%19.42%22.30%19.23%0.00%

I feel good about my numbers. I'm staying consistent and some things are starting to get easier. I'm pushing a bigger gear on the bike now so I can go further faster and my average speed is up a bit. That's encouraging since the bike portion of a 1/2 iron is 56 miles. I need to start getting some swimming mileage in. It'll be a very slow build-up so I have to get that figured out. Sparring... Well, I'm getting the rounds in when I can and they hurt every time. Need to get myself to the dojo on Saturdays to get that number up.

Now on to the part of the test that's been on my mind lately. Acts of Kindness. It's been on my mind because... Well, there are a couple reasons. For one, I've noticed that when I explain to someone all the things I have to do for this test, acts of kindness often turns heads (the other one is empathy training). 

People can wrap their heads around the push-ups and sit-ups and mileage and sparring pretty easily because that's all physical stuff. They get the association there. But they don't see the bridge. That bridge that martial arts builds between strength and compassion. And that's okay, but I hope we can change it. Because, really, acts of kindness are a huge part of being a martial artist

The second reason it's been on my mind is because people tend to ask what constitutes an act of kindness. Well, just about anything kind, really. That's what's so great about it. It can be a small gesture like opening a door for someone. Or it can be grand gesture like donating a chunk of cash. It can be picking up a piece of trash, sharing your last stick of gum, smiling at a stranger, or it can be driving across town to pick up a friend. I read an article that said, "Next time you're out walking about, you may want to give passers-by a smile, or at least a nod. Recent research reveals that these tiny gestures can make people feel more connected." That's pretty cool, and pretty kind. You should so try it! 



I've noticed that being conscious about kindness is also making me notice them more when they're offered to me. And that it just feels plain good to be nice. In an interesting way I've noticed that it gives me confidence, also. Maybe because of that connection theory? I'm not sure. Either way, I like it. And I'm glad it's part of the test... Not just because it's an easy part :)










No comments:

Post a Comment