Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Week 7 - I Can Train Harder

Another week down. Team Getty ran our first 1/2 marathon of the year this past Saturday. It was the hardest race I've ever done. Ever. It was in Pacifica, a trail run, 3100 feet of climbing... I hurt. I've been consistent with my workouts, like, for years, and especially these last two weeks. So, I shouldn't be sore, right? But I am, I'm that kind off sore where I'm walking funny and flinching when my dog jumps on my lap. 

Basically what that tells me is that even if I'm training hard, I can train harder. And at the same time I have to pace myself. So...

I'm gonna increase my little weekday trainer rides from 6 to 8 miles. I'm also determined to do 10 squats a day. Just 10, nothing that I'll keep track of or anything, but I've got to work on my muscular endurance and my burst strength. To go with that I want to start focusing on angling more when I'm sparring. I have too much forward and backward movement. I need to angle more, especially defensively. I really feel like my sparring needs something more. 

I'm enjoying the attention to detail that kata brings. I like feeling that I'm improving the details. Kata has always been more my thing than sparring. I like the element of kata that allows for continual improvement. 

Still need to get on the reading thing. Have plans to conquer my scuba fear next month. Almost to the 2 month mark and that feels like a mini-milestone. Feeling good about things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment